Well it looks like I missed the PlayStation Blog post about the June PSN games a week ago so let's look at them now, shall we?
Here's what I predicted in the last round-up:
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst, despite not reviewing well, will probably still make the top ten.
- And despite launching June 28th, LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens will chart pretty well.
- Uncharted, Overwatch, Rocket League, and Minecraft are all likely to stay in the field.
- I'll go out on a limb and say that Doom holds on for another month too, in the top ten.
- Games with "Battle" in the title will fall off (Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battleborn). As will Killzone and Witcher.
- With a lot of titles on-sale right now for an E3 Flash Sale, I think a few old games will re-emerge: Assassin's Creed Syndicate ($23.99 for PS+), Dragon Age Inquisition ($5.99 for PS+), Star Wars Battlefront ($23.99 for PS+), and Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin ($15.99 for PS+).
And, as suggested in that last bullet point, random PSN sales basically came in and blew my predictions to hell.
- So my prediction about "Battle" games dropping off proves wrong with Battlefield 4 and Battlefield Hardline taking spots 1 and 3, respectively. (0/1)
- On the plus side, Overwatch, Minecraft, and Rocket League hung around with only Uncharted 4 slipping out of the top ten (down to 15). (.75/2).
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Mirror's Edge Catalyst are nowhere to be found in the top 20. (.75/4).
- Doom fell down to 17 and, therefore, did not stay in the top ten. (.75/5)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition and Assassin's Creed Syndicate reappeared from the sales but not in the top ten. (.75/6)
- The rest of the list was out-of-nowhere entries from the various PSN sales in June.
Vita and Classics:
- A slew of new Vita titles (?!?!?!) hit the top ten this month. God Eater Resurrections, Adventures of Mana, and Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma all launched June 28th at the end of the month and appearing at 1, 4, and 9, respectively (especially good for Mana which stealth-released with no fanfare).
- Odin Sphere Leifthraiser was another new release for the month coming in at a solid number 2.
- Meanwhile, the Classics front is comprised mostly of the usual suspects with only the newly re-released Psychonauts as the new face.
So how is July going to shake out? Probably a mess with all the sales going on and the continued dry spell of games.
- The Insomniac/GameStop partnership Song of the Deep might sell well. Probably not top ten but maybe in the top twenty.
- Videoball seems to have a lot of hype as a Rocket League-esque game but I think it's too small.
- I Am Setsuna comes to PS4 next week and by most accounts appears like it will be an exciting successor to Crono Trigger in the same way Bravely Default has been to classic Final Fantasy games. So I think it will manage to perform well.